Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataSet.Table SELECT method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorkem

Programmer
Jun 18, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I am a little stumped here.. I have a dataset with 3 tables. I am trying to do a SELECT on one table using a NOT IN or NOT EXIST statement, however it doesn't work. Can this actually be done, if so, how? or if not, is there a work around to do something like this?

Here is my code:
Code:
DataRow[] dr = ds.Tables[2].Select("Email NOT IN (Select Email FROM ACTIVE) AND (Email NOT IN (Select Email FROM INACTIVE)");

This is the error message I get back:

Syntax error: Missing operand after 'Email' operator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gorkem.

Oxigen - Next generation business solutions
-----------------------------
Components/Tools/Forums/Software/Web Services

Hi again,

Sorry.. I made a typo in my code.. the code should read:

Code:
DataRow[] dr = ds.Tables[2].Select("Email NOT IN (Select Email FROM ACTIVE) AND Email NOT IN (Select Email FROM INACTIVE)");

ACTIVE and INACTIVE are the names of the other tables within the dataset.

Thank you for your suggestion! It is much appreciated.. However, I decided to just do an SqlBulkCopy into an SQL database and do the NOT IN query there. It adds a little bit of an overhead, but the importance out-weighs the extra overhead.

As it turns out, the DataSet.Table Select method filter is not full TSQL.. hence, it doesn't handle NOT IN, NOT EXIST subqueries.. I read somewhere that this can be done using LINQ, but unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of time on this.

Cheers,

G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back