Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dataset Aggregrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongr1l

Programmer
Mar 6, 2006
US
Is there a way to do an sql aggregrate on a dataset?

Something like "Select Category, Product, Sum(cost) from Products group by category, Product"?

I know that DataViews have rowfilter and sort, but I'd like something more direct?

Ideas?

mongr1l

Short answer, No.

Now for the long answer:

You can in a way group tables like sql, but you have to setup the dataset to handle it for you. There are two ways i know of, and only one i use, XML Schema's.

But, are you getting the data from sql or simular database? if so, then its not really going to work.

Add a xml schema file to your project, when its open, you can drag/drop the tables you want and type in the columns.

Now, when you have finished, drag a child table to an parent one: Products(Child) -Into> Categories(parent). Save the file (you may need to copy it into the Bin folder)

In your code, where you have your dataset decliration, use:
ds.ReadXMLSchema(XMLSchema_FileName)
to load the schema

Then when you add a product(example), you ref the category:

Dim NewProductRow as DataRow = DataSet.Tables("Products").NewRow

NewProductRow.SetParentRow(CategoryRow)

Then when you want all products under 'Toys' you:

Dim ToyProducts() As DataRow = DataSet.Table("Categories").Select("Name = 'Toys')(0).GetChildRows("Categories_Products")

Hope this makes some sense?

Actually, there is an aggregate function in datatable object:
Code:
Dim o As Object = ds.Tables(0).Compute("sum(cost)", "category='XXX'")
Unfortunately, it seems that we can only get one value in a time.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back