Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataGrid and Class Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoundEdGoat

Programmer
May 10, 2002
CA
Right, well I've been searching around the net for about half a day now and to be quite honest, I'm under the impression that my conception of how to use a DataGrid control is horribly flawed (or non-existent).

What I would like to do is pass the data in a Collection (containing objects from a class I wrote) to a DataGrid control so that it can be easily viewed and possibly sorted.

I've got it to display the data with the DataGrid.DataSource = Collection line, but it displays the data columns in an order I've not yet figured out how it came by. After doing some more research on the net, I learned of the TableStyles and GridColumnStyles collections. Well, I tried to implement these into my code, both using the properties window and via code, but they don't seem to work, leading me to believe that I haven't a clue to what I'm doing.

I suppose what I'm here to ask is for some direction as to what I'm suppose to do to get this thing to work properly. I'll post a cut down version of my code below.

My Class (Basically):

Code:
Public Class DataClass
	Private strString as String
	Private intNumber as Integer

Public Property StringProp() As String
		Get
			Return strString
		End Get
		Set(ByVal Value As String)
			strString = Value
		End Set
	End Property

Public Property NumberProp() As Integer
		Get
			Return intNumber
		End Get
		Set(ByVal Value As Integer)
			intNumber = Value
		End Set
	End Property

Public Sub New()
		' Code
	End Sub
End Class

And the TableStyles and GridColumnStyles code (which I copied off a website and modified to fit my program... Or at least that was the idea), which is in my Form.Load event currently:

Code:
	Dim dgtsTable As New DataGridTableStyle()
	dgtsTable.MappingName = "DataClass” ' Not sure if this is correct...

Dim dgtbString As New DataGridTextBoxColumn()
	dgtbString.HeaderText = "String Value"
	dgtbString.MappingName = "StringProp" ' Or if this is correct...
	dgtbString.Width = "165"
	dgtsTable.GridColumnStyles.Add(dgtbString)

Dim dgtbNumber As New DataGridTextBoxColumn()
	dgtbNumber.HeaderText = "Number Value"
	dgtbNumber.MappingName = "NumberProp" ' Or this...
	dgtbNumber.Width = "180"
	dgtsTable.GridColumnStyles.Add(dgtbNumber)

dgdDataGrid.TableStyles.Clear()
	dgdDataGrid.TableStyles.Add(dgtsTable)

After this, I'm stumped. It didn't make a difference if I put the DataGrid.DataSource = Collection either before or after the latter block of code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back