Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataEnvironment vs hand coding/ADO

Status
Not open for further replies.

finsys

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Here's one for those of you who have more experience with VB data applications. What are the pro's and con's of the DataEnvironment vs "traditional" hand coded ADO?

Short and to the point is Flexiblity. Hand coding gives you the control over everything vs the DE designer is the MS coding teams idea of what the average user is going to do with their data. Very general statement I know, if you have an idea of what you are trying to do, post it and you can get a more specific idea of which one will be better for your needs. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.

To me, hand coding is better. It does give you more flexibility and it's also easier to see exactly what is going on and make changes. You only have to look at your code.

to be honest, i was introduced to generate reports using Data Environment on VB6... now im having a problem doing it handcoding... can anyone help me to hand-code a command, stored procedures, tables on reports?!?!?

please give me a step-by-step procedure or a URL tutorial re traditional handcoding ... i need it badly! thnx so much

i need to finish my reports asap...

... my stored procedures came from Access2000 and now, im hand-coding my queries... but i encounter some errors on VB thnx so much!

I also think that hand coding is generally the better choice because it gives the developer more control over all of the objects(Connection, Command, & Recordset).

I can manage resources better since I can create and destroy these objects throughout the application as needed.

Hope this helps!
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back