Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dataenvironment.asa issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyirish

Programmer
Jun 14, 2007
US
I am working on a project in visual interdev and am trying to change the DataEnvironment. The database back end was moved to another server but I cant figure out how to configure the dataenvironment.asa. When I get it opened, I get a few lines of text then a lot of jumbeled up text, mostly boxes.

How is this file built? How can I go in and edit it? I've tried searching around but find very little info on it.

The reason you didn't find much information is because there isn't much. Nobody uses the Interdev design time controls and for good reason.... they bring nothing but pain.

Just write your own database interaction code using the ADO Connection and Recordset objects. It isn't very hard, you'll find plenty of examples, and you'll be much happier.

This is on an existing project that was made years ago. All I need to do is change the database string in the dataenvironment.asa, otherwise I will have to rewrite the entire application because all of the objects used rely on the DE.

I have a lot riding on getting this done in a timely manner and it pains me that I will have to pretty much rewrite the entire application just because I cant edit a file.

If you know of anything that will help in being able to edit the dataenvironment.asa, please let me know. Thanks.

Yikes!

I think that dataenvironment.asa is a binary so you'll need to fire up Interdev and edit the DataEnvironment inside the IDE.

Also, I don't know if you can just change the connection string or if you have to recreate all of the Commands.

It might be easier to create an alias for the new location of the backend database if possible.

Do you know how to open the DataEnvironment in the IDE? It is located in the _private directory where it will not allow me to view it. If I copy and paste the file into a different directory in the file structure, it will open, but with the garbage.

If you don't know how to open it in the IDE, could I just edit the file with a hex editor?

Or I guess, how do you recreate it? This is my first time ever seeing InterDev, and about my second for ASP. Any help is very much appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back