Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Databse Structure Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibblet

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
GB

I have been working a company on a short term contract and I am about to finish. The comapny has asked me if before I leave will I clean out the company database and create some documenttion for future developers.

I have tried the documenter function but it doesn't really give me relationships and the documents would be too long.

So instead I have begun to map out all the forms, table, queries, reports and macros and how they interact in a flow chart.

It is a large database and it is becoming extremely tedious to do this.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this or have a better idea than creating a chart?

I would start out to freeze the relationship chart (control printscreen for a screencapture) as your basic map of the database. Then describe each table in short, which forms are used to fill it
then descripe the reports that come out of the database (main reports first) and the query used to pull the information.

Pampers.

You're never too young to learn

So instead I have begun to map out all the forms, table, queries, reports and macros and how they interact in a flow chart.

There are several sorts of structure to a database application and I've never been able to find a way of showing them all on the one diagram. I end up drawing:

An Entity-Relation diagram to show how the tables fit together.

A Data Flow Diagram to show how data moves between tables, views and processes.

A Flow Chart to show the logic within a process.

On most projects these never get beyond sketches which get covered with doodles as work progresses.

Geoff Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back