Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidtech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2005
US
I have coldfusion mx 7 running on a virutal dedicated server, with Apache setup as the web-server. The configuration was setup by the company that I purchased the virtual server from. My problem is that there is no Admin page for me to log into and setup my databases. I was wondering if there is a configuration file on the server where I can manually put in my databases. Any know how to help?

I'm confused...
You need a DSN to connect to the database? You need the database built? You need data in the database?

If you needs a DSN, email the admin of the server
If you need a databse built, what type of database are you using?
If you need data in the database, write queries!

Kevin

I'm quite proficient in ColdFusion. I have a database created with several tables. I know how to write queries in CFM also. My problem is registering the database with ColdFusion. When i work on my server in my house, I go to the following page, login and can register the database file with Coldfusion (usually a microsoft access database). Without the ability to login to my Coldfusion Admin page on my remote server, I dont know how to register my Access database with Coldfusion.

I'm quite proficient in ColdFusion." I'm sure you are, but the question was vague.

You need to contact the server admin. Most good hosts will provide a custom control panel for all sorts of things, like CF DSNs, mappings, custom tag paths, DNS, etc. On a shared server, you will never get access to the CF admin.

hope that helps.

Kevin

I am the administrator of the virtual dedicated server. I have root access to all the files on the server, and have cut it up into virtual hosts for all of my domians. Problem is, I didnt install Coldfusion, it came installed on the virtual server I purchased thru godaddy.com So, since i didnt install it, and cant uninstall it, there arent many changes I can make to the setup of coldfusion. Everything works except for the CFadmin page.

If it was IIS I could help in more detail. Unless someone here chimes in with apache (assumming non-windows version...) my take is to talk to whoever you gave your money.

Virtual dedicated is still a shared environment, you are just promised a specific amount of resources, that others can't use. So I'm sure the CFMX installation is shared also, which means no cf admin access for users.

Kevin

Well, thanks for the help.. So far GoDaddy support has been total bull shit. They have no idea when it comes to their servers, the answer is always "we dont support this" I'm getting by using XML (granted, its a lot more lines of code, but at least it works). Thanks for the help.

Have you tried the serviceFactory yet?
I'm not sure if you can set any DSN without the admin password, but it's something to look at.

try to google for Coldfusion serviceFactory

Good luck!
And if you want to switch your hosting, try I'm very happy with their support and pricing!

My blog:

eight ball,
first, watch your language, this is a public help forum not a rant room for people who aren't snappy enough to use words larger than 4 letters.

second, if you have root access to the server you should be able to find the /cfide folder someplace. if all else fails you can try
if you can't find cfide, it isn't in your virtual. in which case contact the company hosting your server and find how they expect you to administer your virtual. If they're no help I'd suggest crystaltech.com as above, or host your own.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back