Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Databases change affect reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrant88

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
CA
Hello

I find whenever the underlying database is modified, right away, Crystal will have problems in running the report, you will likely have to redo the report in order to read the database. I just wonder if there is a way around this? not to redo the report whenever database is changed

thanks
Tam

HI,
A change in the metadata of a database table ( or a change in the database used) will require that you use the 'verify database' option under the Database menu to insure that Crystal becomes aware of the changes...
AFAIK, there is no way to avoid this.

[profile]

Redo sounds a bit harsh...

As Turk mentioned, you can manually reset each report.

BTW, most applications will die if you change their dependent data sources.

One trick I suggest to developers is to NOT use tables for their reports, rather use Views. If you had 10 reports using a View, and the underlying structure changed, you redo the View based on the table changes and all of the reports are functional again.

Report Inspector has a batch utility for doing multiple reports at once:

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back