Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Databases and # of concurrent users

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlieu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2002
US
I'm currently using Microsoft Access and wonder if I can get away with using it as my db for my website. I'm wondering how many concurrent users it can handle as opposed to SQL Server or mySQL.

Thank in advance for any replies!

It will handle way fewer. Perhaps 5 to 10 users, depending on how complex and time-comsuming your queries and updates are. (It should not be on the same machine as ColdFusion, but it always seems to be.) However, if that were the only problem, you could try it and perhaps find that it works fine. Access should not be used for production systems because it just is not robust enough. It has a maximum reliably usable size (seems to be a little over 100MB) past which it can develop spontaneous corruption. And it's slow! Having said that, I know several in-house sites that use it. It's easy to set up and back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back