Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBreeze

Programmer
Nov 12, 1998
CA
How do you create a new database/tables etc... Where are they stored???

HTML itself doesn't have any sort of database. One way to connect a page to a database is thru the use of Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripts/programs. These programs can then interact with the database and display the data in HTML format. The method of data storage would depend on the database used.

CGI is a bit finnycotty (whatever that means. ASP is a lot more powerful and easy to program using VBScripts. The ADO model allows for efficient communication with a data source on whatever product (through OLE-DB). Try it out.

If all you are wanting to do is create a table, I can help you!<br>
Go to my forum at: I'm not sure, but I think I already have a table template made out there. If I don't already have a template there, just post a message to me stating what type of table you are needing & I will be GLAD to help you.

Also, if you are using Apache web server on a Unix or Linux system, you can use MySQL(mysql.com) with PHP(php3.com).<br>
<br>
I recently found the Web Database Step-by-Step Guide( which helped me through a surpisingly easy install of Apache, MySQL, and PHP, and a simple test database-to-web connection.<br>
<br>
PHP has many more functions than ASP besides database connectivity, and MySQL is a demonstrably faster database that MSSQL. All are available for free.<br>
<br>
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back