Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Won't Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

cRODEEkrank

Technical User
Dec 5, 2001
US
I have a very peculiar issue with Access. When I click on the file, Access opens but the database does not. When I try to File--> Open and select the database, nothing happens. I don't receive an error message, just nothing happens. I've tried to compact/repair the database as well as try to create a blank database and import the tables into it, but it's not doing anything - no error messages display. It's just dead.

Help!

It could be that the database window is hidden and there is no startup form selected.
Next time you try to open the database after it
opens and you don't see anything click the F11 key.
Then go to the Tools - Startup... menu and make sure
the Display Database Window is checked or if you do not want it to display upon opening, make sure you select a startup form from the Display Form/Page: dropdown.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for your help. However, I've tried your suggestion and it still doesn't open. I can't even import its tables to a different database.

Sorry I wasn't much help.
Try this, instead of double-clicking to open the database, open your database by holding down the Shift key and then the Enter key together (Shift - Enter combo).

I've been dealing with this issue for a few days now. There appears to have been several factors at work. Some of the things I did were to allow more items from the startup dialog box. (Which I have taken away again successfully) I also believe that part of the problem was I didn't have users entered into my system. In other words, I have an employee table in my database. My internal code uses information from this table. I had neglected to enter employee information for some users. The other thing that I think was going on was I had reference to an ODBC DLL that I think some of the users didn't have. Usually, you get an error message but I think it wasn't coming up because of Startup settings. It appears that I've cleared all of the hurdles and it's working.

Hmm...sounds like a different problem than I had. I never resolved the issue I initially reported and had to rebuild the entire database. If anyone comes across a resolution of my initial problem stated above, it would be great to hear how to overcome it in case it happens again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back