Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database very slow after reindex

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsalsero

Programmer
Aug 20, 2004
US
Sql server 2000 SP3a 8.00.977

We have a production server that replicates data throughout the day to another server we use for reporting. We use transaction replication.

The users were complaining of slowness on the reporting server and I discovered that the reporting server replicated database was not reindexed in some time. About 4 months since last reindex.

I only reindexed the replicated tables used for reporting. I also ran update stats for every table with a 20% sample. Now the database performance is even worse than before. Reports that took minutes or seconds to run, are now taking hours.

How would a reindex make performance worse? Am I missing statistics on a table? Should I have reindexed all the tables?

Thanks so much in advance.

Is the reindexing complete? Could it have failed? Maybe the indexes aren't optimized for the queries being run. Could replication be behind on the reporting server due to the reindexing?

Also, you should look into upgrading your SS2000 install to the latest service pack you are quite a bit out of date. SP4 has been out for a while and the build is up to build 2282.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back