Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database too big in Arcserve 2000 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS300

MIS
Oct 29, 2003
CA
The databases that Arcserve have created are getting too big. I have tried to prune them, as well as use the VLDB utilities, but nothing.

I am running the dbdefrag command on them, but it doesn't appear like it does anything.

Any suggestions on how to make these files smaller?

Thanks,

If you want to free up the disk stace you need to either manually delete the output files after the defrag or just run keybuild. That is of course that there is information to prune out. Which means that either you reduced the number of days to preservice data from within the Database Prune job or you manually deleted records.

From my experience the best way is to inisilize the database aspstdat which folder machines, volumes ,folders & files get backuped up.

1. Stop your arcserve database service
2. Open the "database" folder
3. Delete all files that has the extention .ch*
4. Start the database service
5. Just like mohamdr says start the initialization of the aspstdat.

Once you do this your database will be much smaller.

Best of luck.

GSC

A star for both mohamdr and GSC. Your posts helped out significantly in reducing my database to a much more amenable size. Thanks for your help!

I have a similiar problem. In the DATABASE folder I've got 78 files using over 900 MB.

The Astpsdat(.000, .001, & .002) and Asobject(.000 - .004) are the largest.

I've only got about 90 MB free on this drive now.

Should I run dbcheck, dbfix, dbdefrag, & keybuild?

I tried steps 1 - 4 above, but it made very little difference. How do I do step 5?

I also have a lot of files in the TEMP directory with names such as C1F11.CAT, C1E17.CAT.

Basically - what all can I delete from the LOG, TEMP & DATABASE directories to help free up some space????

TIA,

RW

You have to free up space as soon as possible. The presence of *.cat files in your temp directory might indicate database corruption.
The 'quick and dirty' solution is to initialize the database (step 5 - go to the server admin, select the database engine tab, then select operation and initialize specific or all databases). This will quickly free up lots of space but will also leave you with an empty database.

regards

Mohamdr ( or someone else ),
How do I 'initilize the database aspstdat which folder machines, volumes ,folders & files get backuped up' as you propose ?
Thx.

Visit us at :

ARCserve Server Admin, click the database tab, then the option to initilize will show up.

Guys I need some help im new to ARCserve backup
can someone tell me how i can Defragment the database?
i know the command but can someone give me a sample command? I appreciate all your help

dbdefrag -L arcserve;admin;secret astpsdat

change the database name (in this example astpsdat) for every database you want to defragment.
Do NOT change the rest of the syntax

regards

davidmichel,

Which files do you need to manually delete after doing dbdefrag?

Hello guys (and girls),

We are having the similar problems. We installed the Arcserve DB on the C:\ drive. And now we are out of disk space (14 MB left). We have tried pruning and dbdefrag(ing) the DB but it did not give us enough free space. We also tried to delete some Arcserve Db file but we can't delete more file.

So now we have 2 options:
1) Moving the DB: But does anyone know if it's possible to move the DB to a other Drive, without reinstalling the Arcserve application?

2) Or resizing the Dynamic C:\ disk: But i have never resized a Dynamic disk.

I hope someone can help me with this really BIG problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back