Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdugan

Programmer
Dec 30, 1999
US
I am responsible for adding enhancements to a Visual FoxPro 5 program. All the<br>
database tables in this application are free tables (no database container is being used). To implement my enhancements I am using Visual FoxPro 6. I added a database container and then included some of the tables (.dbfs) in the container. When the tables were added FoxPro prompted me to upgrade the tables so they <br>
could be added to the container.<br>
<br>
This program is installed at several customer sites.<br>
<br>
My question is how do I upgrade the free tables (which contain customer data) at the customer sites and add the container so my enhancements will work?<br>
<br>
I tried just putting the .dbc file in the customer directory with the new executable hoping it would find the database files (.dbf). But it said they were incompatible.<br>
<br>
Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>

You will have to write an install program.<br>
Create a install database with all the tables needed.<br>
The install database and tables can not be the same name as any table/database in use.<br>
Append the data from the current tables into the install tables / database.<br>
Copy the current tables to a back up location and then delete that current table.<br>
When all the current tables have been moved run a copy to command from the install tables to the names they should be.<br>
<br>
The way I do it is to have a data-dictionary table called TABLES.<br>
I place all the information required for the install program in there: Old Name, New Name, Current location, backup location, ect and write a program around a scan statement.<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back