Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Set Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbielenda

MIS
Nov 15, 2001
US
I created my reports using CR Version 8.5 Professional. When these reports are delivered to a customer of ours, I need to manually go into CR on the customers side and change the Database|Set Location with every report in order for them to work. Is there any way of getting around this? Reports are starting to build up and it gets to be alot of work after a while! Thank you for any help... s-)

There is no solution other than writing a VB application and calling crystal from that.

Of course you could access the customer's PC remotely using PC anywhere or similar software. Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

I recently found on Crystal Decisions website a utility called update70.exe which you can use to update multiple reports at one time, including set location or convert database driver. Maybe this wil work for you.

I have not tested this extensively, although I am sure CD has. Here is the link:

If you use this please post your experience to the board. Good Luck Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

dgillz,

After installing this .exe, can you still manually do the Set Location if needed? Will there be some new option in the Crystal Reports menu?

HowardHammerman,

I do use PC Anywhere to connect to the customer and change the reports. It's just that after more and more reports are being created, it is time consuming to change the Database | Set Location.

Thank you all... s-)

I use crystal developer so I'm not sure if the following applies, but I presume you have not got the database location hardcoded?

For Microsfot SQL connections (at least) you can go into the set location and edit the table entry and remove the databasename.tableowner part and just leave the table name part.

Then when you copy on to target machine the database name can be different. I hope this helps.

vincer,

I have been removing the databasename from databasename.tableowner. My issue is that the Server Type and the Server name (from Database|Set Location) have to be changed. Seems like it is hard coded.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your problem...but as I understand it, vincer is correct. Suppose your database name is Test. If you click on Database | Set Location you will see a list of the data tables used on the report. If you select each table is should appear at the bottom of the window under location as Test.dbo.Tablename. DBO could be replaced by the user specific login.....anyway, if you delete the database name and leave the location as dbo.Tablename it will work. This is how we distribute all of our Crystal reports and we have never had any problems once we made these changes in our report development. We use Microsoft SQL Server.....perhaps this only applies to SQL. Hope this helps.

Dbielenda,

Yes, you can still manually change the database locations if need be. There will not be another crystal menu or command, update70.exe is a tool that allows you to change the database location of hundreds of reports at once, among other things.

As pointed out by a couple of others on this thread, you can accomplish much the same result in a SQL environment, or in an ODBC environment. However, I still have literally thousands of Macola reports at clients written with a native database connection (file.ddf). This is where this tool will help me as I move these people to a MS SQL environment.

Let me know if you have any questions Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

is there a way to get rid of the databasename in databasename.user.table format while seeing it in the Data Explorer window (which shows all the ODBCs)?
Because even if i remove the databasename once it is in Set Location window, when i want to change the location of tables it will add the databasename to it.
I feel Segate must have thot abt it, as this is a common activity for any developer to switch between Production, Pilot, Test databases or switch between Production and Test servers.
I will take a look at the software also (update70.exe)

Quote From Above:
"There is no solution other than writing a VB application and calling crystal from that."

Or Delphi, C++, etc...

Try this. I use it all the time and it resolves the issue.

When using ODBC to connect to the database ALWAYS use the same DSN name eg; crystal_reporter. Using set location remove database name and table owner from the table list in the report. eg;
LIVE.dbo_Organisation becomes just Organisation.

Ensure that your clients all have a DSN connection named crystal_reporter.

Job done.

Hope this helps

Bill :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back