Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ade77

Technical User
Jul 17, 2000
GB
I am trying to search an Access database, using data entered from a form. The form offers users a choice of different text fields in which they can search the database with. It would be great if they could enter data in a number of the text fields to broaden the search, if this is possible? Could anyone please suggest how I can get the code below to do this, or if a multiple field search is not possible, then a single field search, but where the user still has a choice of which field to search by. I would be most appreciative of any help.<br><br><br>&lt;html&gt;<br>&lt;head&gt;<br>&lt;title&gt;Brigantia Directory Search Results&lt;/title&gt;<br>&lt;/head&gt;<br>&lt;body bgcolor=&quot;#FFFFFF&quot;&gt;<br>&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#000099&quot; face=&quot;Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif&quot; size=&quot;4&quot;&gt;Brigantia <br>Directory Search Results&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>&lt;hr&gt;<br><br>&lt;% <br>&nbsp;Business= request.form(&quot;company&quot;)<br>&nbsp;Postcode= request.form(&quot;postcode&quot;)<br>&nbsp;Stdcode= request.form(&quot;stdcode&quot;)<br>&nbsp;Town= request.form(&quot;town&quot;)<br><br>&nbsp;set rs=server.createobject(&quot;adodb.recordset&quot;)<br><br><br>&nbsp;if Business = &quot;&quot; then<br>&nbsp;response.end<br>&nbsp;else<br>&nbsp;sql = &quot;select * from tablebrig &quot;<br>&nbsp;sql = sql& &quot; where lastname='&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;& Business & &quot;';&quot;<br>&nbsp;end if<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;if postcode = &quot;&quot; then<br>&nbsp;response.end<br>&nbsp;else<br>&nbsp;sql = &quot;select * from tablebrig &quot;<br>&nbsp;sql = sql& &quot; where postcode='&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;& Postcode & &quot;';&quot;<br>&nbsp;end if<br>&nbsp;<br><br><br>&nbsp;if Stdcode = &quot;&quot; then<br>&nbsp;response.end<br>&nbsp;else<br>&nbsp;sql = &quot;select * from tablebrig &quot;<br>&nbsp;sql = sql& &quot; where stdnumber='&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;& Stdcode & &quot;';&quot;<br>&nbsp;end if<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;if Town = &quot;&quot; then<br>&nbsp;response.end<br>&nbsp;else<br>&nbsp;sql = &quot;select * from tablebrig &quot;<br>&nbsp;sql = sql& &quot; where town='&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;& Town & &quot;';&quot;<br>&nbsp;end if<br><br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;rs.open sql, &quot;DSN=brigantia&quot;<br>&nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;rs.MoveFirst<br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;table border=1&gt;&quot;<br>&nbsp;Do while not rs.eof <br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td&gt;&quot; & rs(&quot;lastname&quot;) & &quot;&lt;/td&gt;&quot;<br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;td&gt;&quot; & rs(&quot;postcode&quot;) & &quot;&lt;/td&gt;&quot;<br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;td&gt;&quot; & rs(&quot;stdnumber&quot;) & &quot;&lt;/td&gt;&quot;<br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;td&gt;&quot; & rs(&quot;city&quot;) & &quot;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&quot; <br>&nbsp;rs.movenext<br>&nbsp;loop<br>&nbsp;response.write &quot;&lt;/table&gt;&quot;<br>&nbsp;rs.close<br>&nbsp;set rs=nothing<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>%&gt;<br><br>&lt;hr&gt;<br><br>End of Page&lt;/p&gt;<br>&lt;/body&gt;<br>&lt;/html&gt;<br><br>

use the AND keyword:<br><br>&quot;SELECT * FROM tablebrig WHERE lastname = '&quot; & Business & &quot;' AND postcode = &quot; & Postcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back