Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Schema Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardF

Programmer
Oct 9, 2000
GB
Hi,

I using vb.net to read the database schema from an access database (fyi: this is achieved using Connection.GetOleDbSchemaTable). I use the information from the schema, for example, to get tablenames/columnnames for my app.

My question is does the format of the database schema change between different database providers ?

Thanks,
Rich.

It may change slightly between operating system of the server that the database is on. In fact there may be a conversion process in how ODBC reads a database and how the native runtime reads the metadata.

There has to be some differences. We use an IBM Unidata Database and an Application called Datatel. Unidata/Datatel uses multivalue fields, subfiles, and computed columns. IBM calls this database Relational, but actually you can not join tables. Somehow it all works as if it had joined tables by using associations, code files, and other techniques. In other areas I have seen Unidata described as a Non First Normal Form Database.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi,

I may have confused you. The hint was in part of the question (GetOleDbSchemaTable). Maybe I should have said oledb database providers !

However, if Unidata has a oledb provider then i would be interested in seeing the schema from unidata database. Although I imagine, from what you have said, that one probally does not exist since the db is not truely relational.

Regards,
Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back