Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database saved in file

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchelito

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
DE
well, i wanna save amounts of data (informations, etc) on my hard-disk. so a database is a good choice.
but what if i want to save these files to a specific file? the problem is, that 1.) i want to be able to make a kind of db-backup so that i can switch between the different databases and 2.) i wanna save different inormation to different db's 3.) i wanna do all of this without configuring each database with the odbc-administration, which also means that 4.) i don't wanna create and configure all the databases every time i re-install windows.

so, if you know a way how to use databases saved in files or how my c++-program can create and configure odcb-databases, then please tell me.

by the way - i know that some of the things are possible with .db - databases, which can be saved in files ... but they somehow suck.

thank you for your help.

anchelito

What do you mean "saved in file"? Data of any DBMS are saved in files. 1) and 2) - where do you see any problem? 3) ODBC administrator is used to describe links to database locations only, for creation-administration of databases are used DBMS tools or probably SQL sentences CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE, etc. in your (C++) program. 4) Only thing, what disappears after reinstalling of Windows - ODBC link to DB location. All information regarding this is stored in Registry, so corresponding registry keys could be exported to the file and simply loaded after Windows reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back