Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database replication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermitforney

Technical User
Mar 15, 2005
US
Can you undo a replication?

How do you mean? Usually when creating a replica MSAccess strongly recommends that you create a backup. It will do it for you, creating a file called whateverthedatabaseiscalled.bak. You can rename this file .mbd

If you do not have the back up, it is possible to unpick (rather than undo) the replica, but it is tedious in the extreme.

Ok, I am going to keep the replication the way it is for now. But I am having problems with networking now that it is replicated. When I place a copy of it on an end users workstation it cannot find the back-end. When I go through the Link Table Manager it says, "You cannot make design changes to this Replica".

How do I place this onto co-workers workstations and mantain the network setings?

Did the replication affect my split database? In other words, should I have split the database after replication?

From what little I have read on the subject, replication only applies to data. This would mean that the stages are:
1. Split database;
2. Replicate back-end only.
You can have as many front-ends as is reasonable, without replicating.

Alright now I feel like a real idiot. :eek:(

I replicated the front end.

Now I can't find the backup either.

So where was that link again to undo this? :eek:(

Crap I just read how to do it.

This is gonna take forever and a day. :eek:(

God, I need to hurry up and get certified.

There is no link. It is just something I have done, to see. It really is very, very tedious. Maybe someone does have a link, though. Are you sure you can't remember where you put the backup? :-(

Cardinal Sin #1 - Never delete a backup, even on accident. lololol

But anyways I just created a new blank database and then imported all the front-end stuff I needed.
So I am in good shape again.

Thanks for all of your help though guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back