Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Reorganise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjw001

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
On reporting an error in some software that uses SQL Server the supplier of the software has advised me that I should reorganise/reindex the database.

He has advised that the easiest way to do this is to backup and restore the database.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks.

Microsoft has some recommendations about index defragmentation.

I think that you should consider doing a rebuild of all your indexes. You could also do it dynamically based on the fragmentation level. I have a stored procedure that could help you with this.

There could also be fragmentation in the file system. This could happen if you do a lot of growing and shrinking of the data and log files.

Chad Boyd has a blog series on this topic.

Ola Hallengren

Thank you very much for the reply. Those references you gave were extremely interesting.

However, as far as I could see, none of them answer the question "Does backing up and restoring a database reorganise the tables?

No backup and restore will not reorganize the database. you need do rebuild indexes depend upon operations priorities

Thanks. That is as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back