Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Reconciliation..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwylde

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
GB
I'm currently converting our system away from an old V7 paradox system to a intranet [LAMP] based system. I want to have a mysql database that is a mirror of the Paradox one.

I think the best way is to have a session polling the paradox system for changes and [via ODBC] mirror the changes to the mysql database. The problem i'm having is the none of the Paradox tables are timestamped, so...

Is there a way to interrogate a Paradox table to find recent changes without having to create a timestamp on each table?

I have created a test PDX V7 Table with a timestamp field on it, when changing data in the table the timestamp didn't show any value, does this have to be stamped within the code, or does the system automatically do it? [if so then why didn't it show up?]

Has anyone else done something like this?

Thanks for any help.

Paradox doesn't do this automagically. DateTime is a field type, not a function.

You have to include it as part of your code.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time; we have the rest of our lives. It's about priorities.

mwylde,

I agree with TonyMcGuire you will probably have to use code to set the time stamp when records change. I presume you know that when you set up a timestamp field in a table if you set the default to NOW then everytime a row is inserted into the table it is time stamped. This however does not change with updates.

Regards

Bystander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back