Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database "lost" replication !?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

storer

Programmer
Mar 27, 2000
US
We have a front end back end application. Front end is mde and back end is mdb and replicated. Most of the data entry is done at a location an hour away from my office.

The back end is on a server that, until just a few days ago, had 64 mb memory, runs on windows 98 and Access 2000.
Front end is on the stations, which are same, except some had 128 memory when this problem occured, but not the server.

the person doing the data entry was getting illegal operation errors and throwing her out but couldn't quite figure out why....no consistancy to it and it stopped doing it. Then she called me and she was having trouble with the databases staying linked. She would enter a few records, then get that error message you get when you try to open the front end and it is not linked (like when I put a new front end on and need to redo the links) I had her refresh the links a couple of times and we added a reference library that I read helped with linking tables (microsoft ADO Ext. 2.5 for DDL and Security) and that seemed to fix it.

Well, I got a copy of the back end last week to syncronize with my end and low and behold when I unziped it, it was not a replica! I thought I was going nuts. But when I checked Hidden objects, all the replication tables were there and there were records in tables such as MSysReplicas, MSysExchangeLog and MSysRepInfo. It showed the record of the last time I was there and relicated it.

To make matters even more confusing, the first time I unzipped it, it wasn't a replica, I closed it and it compacted and when it opened up again, it was a replica! Now I really thought I was nuts but I'm sure it was the same database, I got it to do that 3 times and now it won't do it anymore. (It's on a disk and when I unzip it and save it to hard drive it was doing this.) This replica had conflict tables with lots of records it them, that when combined, matched the database that opened as not a replica and stayed that way. Doesn't make sense and Im trying to explain it right.

Any ideas?

I do know that the server was having some trouble with the backup running right at about the same time as the problem with the links. Something called catalog errors. The computer service we use came and fixed it. I need to find out more what they did.

Ever heard of such a thing? Can't I have a replica back end as an mde? Would that help keep this from happening?
Is the server "unstable"?

I'm going to use the back end copy at the data entry site to start over with since it has the most important data. My end just has address changes and I think I can figure out what records I've added and append them. If I import the whole database into a new database, will that "lose" some of the corruption? and then start over from there with fresh database, possibly with the replica as a mde.

Help!!!!!!

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back