Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database questions from a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxman

Technical User
Jun 1, 2004
US
HI
In my learning I`ve worked with bound controls and it seems easy to get started. It seems much more complicated once you start doing calulated fields. I`m wondering if it easier to use standard controls, not data-aware controls and just save the results to a database at the end. By this I mean loop thru all the controls and then save to a database or even a xml file. I should mention most of my limited experience was with Delphi. Just now working with vb net. I apologize in advance if this question seems unclear.

I would always recommend using unbound controls, it allows you to use much more robust data access, data checking and updating of data. It also means you can encapulate your data access much more easily and you are in full control (as you've written all the code yourself).

Hope this helps

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

I actually think data binding in .Net is great overall. In ADO.Net, you're not working with cursors as in ADO. You are binding your controls to in-memory objects. These in-memory objects then have their changes reconciled to the database when you choose to do so.

However, for simple, lower-user applications, forgoing data binding is a great option as it sometimes requires less code and debugging to get your DataAdapters configured correctly.

If you are creating an application where users typically scroll through many records, I would recommend data binding.

For applications where a user is working mainly with a single record (or set of related records) for a longer period of time, and will commit the changes for each record after editing is finished, I would recommend you forgo the data binding.

If I bind controls to a datasource, I use stored procedures, rather than binding to raw tables. This gives you more control.

You don't bind to stored procedures or to tables. You bind to data objects in .Net, which are fill up by stored procedures or select statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back