Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Protection Job merged with GFS rotation scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDym

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
GB
Hi Folks

I have just upgraded our installation of Arcserve from 11.1 to 12.

Everything is working fine but I am a little confused about the database protection job (DPJ). I don't understand why the job needs its own media. From what I have read, the DPJ backs up essential elements of the sql database and sql installation.

My question is:

Can I ensure that the level of protection that is offered by the DPJ is available from the standard GFS media: can I configure Arcserve to backup these sql elements as part of the main backup?

Can anyone explain to me why the DPJ requires its own media or can anyone point me towards documentation that explains why this is required. All I've been able to find so far is how to create/customise a DPJ.

The main reason I upgraded our installation was to do away with having to insert more than one media per day. I don't want to insert two media. Access to the server is limited so I have a small guaranteed time period in which to change media.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

It is fine to just add it as an option to the job via Global Options.

I think the DPJ was added not as the only or best way to backup the ARCserve Database but as a request that came from users in an enterprise environment.

Hello, David

Many thanks for the answer. It's a relief knowing that I can simply add the option to backup the database to the GFS job. I'm using SQL Express, so I expect that simply reinstalling ArcServe then restoring the database if required will be sufficient.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back