Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database prompts for Administrator password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothey

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Morning, we've ran into a problem when opening a database from a particular server. The database opens to a Logon popup prompting for an Administrator password. If I open the database from another server/PC the db opens up without a problem. Has anyone seen or resolved this before?

Initial answer would be to just open the db from another server, except that we run import macros against the database that reside on this particular server.

Thanks in advance,
Jerrod

Do you have the password? If you do then open any mdb file press Ctrl+G and type

?syscmd(acSysCmdGetWorkgroupFile)

and press enter.

That will reveil the mdw file (full path and name) that is used by you (probably it is named system.mdw). Write down the full path & name.

Then open that mdb that requires the password open it, press Ctrl+G do the same to reveil the mdw file (full path and name) that is used for the not-so-well-applied user-level security for this mdb. Join the mdw file, goto Tools --> Security --> User & Group Accounts. Select the Admin user, and click on the Clear Password button. No more password.

Rejoin your first mdw file again.

For A97 (and A2k? cannt remember) run the Wrkgrp.exe to join mdws and handle the password

What's strange and sounds like it might be more server related is that I can open this db from my laptop without any problems. It's only when I try to open the db from this particular server.

It is not strange, it is a not-so-well-applied user-level security for this mdb case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back