Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database or database element is corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rols

Vendor
Sep 16, 2002
AU
Has anyone come across this error before when backing up Win2k Exchange mailboxes???

"Database or database element is corrupt"

I have had a browse in the veitas knowledgebase but the are no technotes on this problem!!! (only 1 refering to wink3 & VSS).

Any help / input would be appreciated.

Cheers

I have the same problem but if I look in the job log under 'Backup Set Detail Information' I can see that according to Backup Exec the following:

WARNING: "\\EXCHANGE MAIL SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\ANOTHER USER [ANOTHERU]?Top of Information Store?Inbox????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????this is test text" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

It would seem to have a problem is non english email messages?

It ended up being a corrupt email - the problem went away after deleting it.

But you would think that there would be a Veritas technote on this wouldnt you??

:)

Rols, I agree with it being a corrupt message, and I also agree that if you delete the message, making sure it's fully deleted and not in the Deleted Items folder, The problem goes away.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to prevent Backup exec from reporting these errors?

I have a few messages that can be deleted safely but I also have a few that are needed and cannot be deleted.

I have started getting this recently (2 weeks ago). If you find out how to stop backup exec reporting this then please post it as it is happening all the time now.

I'm getting this error as well, however mine is regarding the public folder store. I know that my Pub.edb is not corrupt as I have run eseutil and it passes successfully.
The error does specify a public folder item as being corrupt, however it changes almost every time the backup is run so I can not just delete all of the entries. I should also add that this is occurring on my Exchange server in Germany, so I wonder if like rigsville mentions it has to do with non english messages. Anybody have any more input on this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay

Interesting find!! This has been occurring during my trial period of BE 9.1, and after I installed the codes to unlock the program. Yesterday I rebuilt all my backup jobs just to see if it would make a difference and deleted my existing jobs (which were created during the trial period) and the errors went away!! I now have a couple of new errors, but that's another story. I'm one step closer to getting these jobs to finish successfully though!!

Jay

There is a registry hack you can do:

Look for

FailJobsonCorruptFiles key in

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec key

Set it the value to 0

So Rigsville, does the Support Doc you posted keep the job from stopping, but still will flag the corrupted mailbox? I am thinking of doing the Reg hack, then exporting the 2 bad mailboxes I have to PST, delete from Exchange, then recreate and import back in.

or should I just do the reg hack and see what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back