Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

database on shared drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatz09

MIS
May 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am looking for advice from anyone who has ever put a Access database on a shared network. I am trying to put a database on a shared drive, but I want security features as well to limit the users options. Please make recommendations on what I could do. Thank You.

Fatz09

Hey fatz09,
I dont have a lot of time to comment, but I am in the process of doing what you're looking to do. you might want to look at this thread for some some info.

thread181-592345 what I've done is run the Access Security wizard to set up groups and user accounts. then JeremyNYC convinced me to split my db into a Front End (FE) and Back End (BE) to increase stability with multiple users. (see above thread) then I turned my FE into a MDE file. there is a good faq on MDEs here on tek-tips. thats what I've done thus far, and everything is working great. I'll post back with anything else I end up doing as it might be of help to you. let me know if you have any questions.

JASON

You could try changing the databse to use SQL Server as the backend, then you can assign User/Group permissions using Win2K/NT security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back