Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastie

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
I need to migrate an Oracle 7.3.4 database to Oracle 8.1.5. Where do I find the upgrade scripts? Can someone give me a thumbnail sketch of the procedure?

I would make an offline backup of the database. Start the database in restricted mode, connect internal, and run the upgrade scripts. Am I on the right track?

You really should have a DBA do this, especially if you are migrating production databases.
The conversion scripts are part of the 8.x install CD. Make sure you have a base install for the version, e.g. 8.1.6.0.0. Back-ups are a good thing. You need to read the associated migration manuals (on the CD) to make sure your environment is migration ready (e.g. system settings, space requirements, etc.). Some parameters need to change in your INIT. Oracle provides an automagic migration script, but I have had much better luck by manually stepping through the process. The script does not tell you where it was when it failed and you are basically forced to restore your database. Manually stepping through the process allows you to take remedial actions at the point of failure without restoring/restarting the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back