Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database lookup speed improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashank4vba

Programmer
Apr 29, 2005
IN
Hi,

Can you help me come up with the best solution for this problem?
I have a lookup table in an Access database with some 4 million records. The table contains only 2 fields say 'a' and 'b'. I am currently searching for a value in 'a' and retrieving the corresponding value in 'b'. Both fields are indexed with duplicates allowed (There is a separate autonumber primary key). The searches have always been almost instantaneous - thankfully, untill now.

A slight modification to this is needed, wherein I need to lookup for a value which matches a part of value in field 'a' and retrieve a part of 'b'. I used 'LEFT()' and 'DISTINCT' functions and the query works fine except that it is now very slow. I need to automate this process and hence I need fast lookups. My questions are:

1)Why is this happening?
2)Should I create another table with just the part of 'a' values for this kind of lookup Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks a lot in advance.

-cheers
Ashank
[P.S: I've seen tables in some access dbs without any primary key. How is that possible? Thanks for ur ans]

it's the fact that you're using the left() function...

what you are doing is getting a value from the table, and then lefting() that value, and then testing...

you have to remember that left is a built in function which does things in the background and will take time, and if you do it 4 million times, then it will take lots of time...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

There may be no better alternative. We are talking additional processor utilization to execute for each of four million records.

I like your suggestion of creating an additional table to store the parced values.

[afro]

Amiel
amielzz@mp4.it

Do you have a sample list of field a and b and what you'd like to capture?

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Well, as for some samples, this is what they look like

a = 12345678912 01, b = 23451678923 01
a = 98765432198X 02, b = 918273645X91 01

and so on...
The format is 11 or 12 alphanumeric chars followed by spaces (2 or 3) and 2 numbers. The lengths of both a and b are always 16.

The part of the fields that I was talking about is the part before the blanks/spaces.

Thanks.

-cheers
Ashank

HAve you tried the Like operator in the WHERE clause ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

The part of the fields that I was talking about is the part before the blanks/spaces.

Sounds like the value ought to be split into two separate fields - one for the bit before the blank and one after. This ought to improve speed because you will be searching and retrieving entire fields.

Geoff Franklin

Geoff Franklin is a wise wise man. Listen to him.

Else, you're stuck with PHV's recommendation...something like...

WHERE field = "* 01" or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back