Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Locked with no users signed on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenFella

Programmer
Oct 23, 2001
CA
I am having a locking problem with an Access application that is acting as a front end to a SQL database.

I want to compact the application since it has grown to arount 750MB and should really be around 16MB. However, the application is showing as being locked. About 15 - 20 users share this application. All of them have been asked to sign off from the application which they have done and yet the database is still showing up as locked.

Most mornings the attempt to compact the database is made at around 7:00AM which is about an hour before most people come in to work. Still the database is locked.

When we check properties/security/ownership it is showing a user who's PC is not even turned on as owning the lock on the database. When I try to take ownership it will not allow me to.

When I try to compact the database it is complaing that it is locked by a specific PC number (not the same as the person who it is complaing has ownership of the lock) and yet that PC is not turned on.

I have tried Repairing the database but, of course, nothing can be done so long as the database is locked.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done? Have I missed anything?

Thanks.
Stephen

make a copy of your dB, compact the copy and then give it the name of the original database (so you won't have to change all users' desktop shortcuts etc.). works every time.

regards, Gion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back