Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database linking for Data Transformation in Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oticonaus

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
AU
Hi There,

I am having trouble obtaining stable results for what should be a simple report, and so am calling upon you out there to help me out and possibly point out the obvious.

I have two tables - a Customer Master File (CusMa), and a Description Master file (DescMa) - the CusMa file is the basis for the report and requires all records to appear - one line per record only. Within this table are fields that contain short description codes which then link to one field in the DescMa file for the description.

The CusMa file has several fields that require the description, and are dependent on a couple of criteria ...

a) A field's name in CusMa must equal a record in the DescMa file
b) A record in CusMa must equal a record in DescMa

So, here's a small example which hopefully translates OK and illustrates clearly what I am dealing with:

Cusma
-----
CusCode - 12345, 23456, 34567, 67890
LHCD - AB, B, 1, 2, A, ZA
CSCD - II, A, 3, AA, AB
ABCD - Z, ABC, II, 2, 3

DescMa
------
Type - LHCD, LHCD, CSCD, ABCD, ABCD
Inf - AB, B, 1, A, 3, II, AA, AB, Z, ABC, 2, AA, AB, ZA
Desc - NSW, CREAM, ORANGE, DELIVERY BY MAIL

So the formula for one field result looks like:

if DescMa.TYPE = "LHCD"
and DescMa.Inf = CusMa.LHCD
then DescMa.Desc

I need to create a result for every field in CusMa that has a Type in DescMa (approximately 20).

So my original thought was to have one CusMa file, and create an alias for the DescMa for every Type and link the Cusma.LHCD with DescMa_LHCD.TYPE, Cusma.CSCD with DescMa_CSCD.TYPE etc ... but after about 4 of these, all with left outer joins, some results no longer appear and it churns very slowly. So my next thought was a subreport for each Type, which actually works, but takes several days to run.

I am convinced that I am overlooking something really obvious here, and would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks so much for getting through this big question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back