Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database is to large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am using microsoft access 2000 and my database as 50Mb.
How is this possible. I don`t have any special information there i just have 6 tables, 3 querys and 7 forms. But each form as a picture of 12 K. I already compacted and repaired the database but it won`t help much
Thank you
Pedro Silva
Portugal

You need to compact your database....

Use menu item Tools.... Database Utilities and Compact and Repair Database.

It might be adisable to make a copy of your databse first... just in case anything goes wrong

Hope this helps

If you've embedded the pictures on the form then that is at least part of the problem. The internal storage of an image, on a form or in a table, usually is much larger that the image size on disk. For example, I added an 18KB JPG image to a form and the MDB increased in size by nearly 1MB! For this reason, best programming practice dicttes linking images rather than embedding them.

Check out these resources for more info.

ACC: Why OLE Objects Cause Databases to Grow

Forms: Handle/Display images in forms/database

If you've stored image files in your tables, you'll want to consider linking the files or even replacing the image field with a text field containing the path of the image. You'll have to develop a bit of code to display the images but the reduction in MDB size and overhead is worth it. Terry
------------------------------------
Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first, and the lesson afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back