Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Database in use' message but it isn't !?! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazolba

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
I've been having problems with my back-end database (Access 2k) and it refused to 'compact and repair', so I created a new database and imported all the objects into it.
Now when I try to open the new database, I get a message "process stopped because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time".

Its not possible that anyone else is using it and I just rebooted my machine. Same thing happens.
Anyoner got a clue what is happening????????

Check to make sure the lock file is gone. (.ldb) Sometimes this remains after a .mbd is closed and can cause problems similar to what you are experiencing.

Hope this helps.

OnTheFly

No, its gone. In fact I rebooted my machine and it still says its in use!

I've had this error when a memo field corrupted. One memo field, on one row of one table. Twice, this has happened.

But I was unable to import the corrupted table into a new MDB file. You may have a different problem.

Check the corrupt MDBs FAQ linked below for better answers than I can give.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Unfortunately I work for the state of Arizona and they have both those sites blocked.

Below if ths full text of an article on MSDN that should be able to help you. Hope this helps.

Regards,
John

ACC: Jet Database Engine 3.x Error Messages Due to Corruption
Applies To
This article was previously published under Q182867
Novice: Requires knowledge of the user interface on single-user computers.

SUMMARY
This article discusses the three most common error messages returned by the Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x that denote some form of corruption in the database. The article discusses what the messages mean and how to resolve the issue(s) causing the error.
MORE INFORMATION
The following errors typically denote some form of corruption in the database.
Error Number 3197:
Error message:

The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.
Cause/Problem:

This error typically occurs when a long value column (an OLE or MEMO data-type) has bad data stored in it. Long value columns are typically stored in a separate page from the page that the row is stored in. If a long value column is present in the table schema, the Jet database engine will attempt to read the long value page when reading the row of data. In order to read the long value page, there is a pointer in the row of data. This error is generated when the Jet database engine cannot properly read the long value page from the pointer present in the data row. When viewing a row that exhibits this behavior in Microsoft Access data-windows, the user will typically see the number sign (#) for the entire row.

Error Number 3343
Error message:

Unrecognized database format 'databasename.mdb'.
Cause/Problem:
This is typically caused when the Jet database engine was improperly shut down during the process of writing to disk.

Error Number 3015
Error message:

'databasename.mdb' isn't an index in this table. Look in the Indexes collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.
Cause/Problem:
This error message is typically caused when there is an index missing on the MSysObjects table. This is typically caused if the repair process is aborted.

RESOLUTION
The Microsoft Jet database engine version 3.51 has an enhanced compact process designed to remedy the problems (if possible) described in the "More Information" section. The improved compact process now assumes all the functionality of the repair process, and therefore it is no longer recommended that you use the Jet database engine repair process.

NOTE: The Microsoft Jet database engine version 3.51 update is designed for Microsoft Access 97. You can run the compact utility on a database created in an earlier version of Microsoft Access; however, running the compact utility, "JETCOMP.exe", requires that Microsoft Access 97 be installed on your computer.

For more information about downloading the Jet database engine 3.51, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172733 ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download

Then you need to talk to your State IT Department. How do they expect you to do your job if you can't GOOGLE?? I work for the state of NM and I can access those sites. That's ridiculous that you can't get to google!

Leslie

They have a program here called 'Websense' that monitors and controls all internet access. Everytime I use the internet I have to logon with my useroid/password. They actually have a department that reads the printouts.
I can access google but only sites allowed by the program.
They frown on too much use of the internet which has been my main research tool at other employers.

I was getting the 3197 error and thanks to your post john2thompson I made my memo field into a text field and performed a compact repair on the database.

Thanks, star for you!!!!

They actually have a department that reads the printouts."

How big is the dept? Lets say 3 people at $30k per year?

Plus software licencing costs.. ?? few hundred dollars?

Can it justify itself! Nearly $100k per year to prevent your hour's worth of surfing per week ... ?

The IT departments are the worse abusers of the internet anyway (speaking from experience).

Sorry.. completely irelevant to the thread.. of my box now. :D

------------------------
Hit any User to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back