Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DataBase Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis33

Programmer
Nov 20, 2000
US
I have a database with one table and one form. I am building it to test the search feature when you have 20,000+
records. I have five fields(auto number,number,date,time,string) I have a command button that I want to be able to click and it writes 20 new records to the table. I want them to be auto generated so i don't have to type anything in. Can someone please help me. Thank You Travis

OK, do you care what is in the fields??? The autonumber will obviously be generated automatically, but want about the number, date, time and string?

What are the field names? That will make it easier to help you.

Kathryn

Kathryn

THank You so much again for helping me.

THe field names are Auto number = auto
number = number
date = date
time = time
string = string

The auto number I would like generated the time and date I would like taken from the computer. and the string i would like to be a random string that is not static. Can You help

Traivs

OK, just a few things.

You really shouldn't use those field names. some of them are reserved words in the Microsoft world.

You might want:

ID (autonumber)
Num (Number? Long Integer?)
TestDate (date)
TestTime (Time)
TestString (text)

What do you want to go in the Num field??

Do you care what the format of the date and time are???
February 8,2001 or 2/8/01 or 2/8/2001??

Does the TestString field need to be just letters, or can it be numbers also? It is a bit easier to generate random numbers than random letters, but no biggie.

What you want is not difficult. Your original post mentioned 20,000+ records, but you said that you only wanted to add 20 records with each command button click. Is this correct?

Kathryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back