Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database for store locator page on website in dreamweaver mx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier52

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
US
I am comfortable with HTML however I have limited knowledge of databases and have never set one up on a website.

Does anyone have a sample of a database to be used on a store locator. The query will be set up by state.

Thanks,
alexa

"store locator"
if write up some more info....what information do u need exatcly....perhaps I can help!
all the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Thanks. I am putting a store locator page on a website. The query will be done by state. So I need the database to be set up where the query will be limited to certain initials for the state.

I then need to know how to implement this into the website using dreamweaver mx. The list of stores is going to be around 300 strong. I will use Name of Store, address, City, State and Zip in the database along with a series of ID #"s ... unless there are better suggestions.

I would like to use both a text query (drop down menu I guess) and a United States map (sort of like an image map). I have never done this and am in the dark. Thanks, Alexa

All you need to do is have your dropdown menu, called stateID, in a form. This passes the state id to another page, lets say results.asp.
On results.asp create a simple recordset that extracts data based on stateID.
For the image map you would need to create it in something like Fireworks with each state having a link assigned to it as something like results.asp?stateID=AL etc..

If you do the tutorials on Master/Detail pagesthis will all become clear.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

can anyone help on a simple design/dreamweaver mx search page that looks for a store by store name....using any part of word, beginning of word, end of word...minimum of 3 characters....lastname or storename would field to query...link in this thread does not show sample....thank you

you need to assign the text entry field to a variable then all you do is search your database with "%" either side of the querystring. So your select statement would end up looking like:

SELECT * FROM yourTable WHERE yourField = %strTextbox%

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back