Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database engine stops during manual mergecat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowitzer

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
SG
Hi,

I'm trying to merge my *.cat files in the temp directory, but either the database engine keeps stopping or mergecat.exe stops leaving the *.cat file still in the directory.

I have also followed the steps to fix corrupted database (i.e., deleting rdm.chk, raaaaa*.chg and rdm.chi from the database directory)

I am using Arcserve v9 and still have almost 3GB of free space left.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Just to add..

I have some *.tmp files in the temp directory. If I try to delete/rename them I am unable to get any info from the database manager.

How do I go about with these?

Thanks again.

Any messages in the activity logs (e41xx errors or other database related records??
How large is your database ??

regards

yup got 2 errors

- E4101 unable to login to database engine
- E3530 failed to login to database

DB size abt 4.8GB

[ponder]

OK, this seems like a corrupted database.
You can run the database maintenance utilities (dbcheck, dbfix, dbdefrag) but these can run for hours on a 5GB database.
You can also use the 'quick and dirty' solution by 'initializing' the database. This will probably have your database acting normal again but it will be completely empty.

regards

I am having trouble getting the mergecat.exe to work at all.
How should it be acting when it is busy working?

------- jw

Mergecat will continue to run until all the CAT files from the temp directory are processed. rds.exe should show some CPU usage (use task manager).

If mergecat crashes or the database is not available then it will stop and there will be CAT files left unprocessed.

If there are no more CAT files mergecat will stop running.

cyklops,

Thanks.. think i'll test my patience with the DB maintenance utilities.

Wjonathan,

I ran mergecat.exe from command prompt. Its easier to see if the command was executed or ended.

unfortunately, mine gets cut off after a few seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back