Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database engine crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goid

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2006
CA
I've got an issue with the DB Engine crashing constantly on one of my servers. I run that stupid VLDB database because I don't have SQL 2000 licenses, only 2005. I had no problems up until I upgraded from 11.1 to 11.5 SP2. Ever since then my db engine has been crashing constantly, causing queued jobs to attempt to start at the same time. After contacting arcserve, they suggested I run dbcheck, dbfix, dbdefrag, and keybuild once a week to maintain the database, or I could move the database to a SQL db and my problems are over. If Arcserve supported MSDE or SQL 2005 I'd have no issues, but I'm stuck using this VLDB. So I run this bat file that maintains all of the ARC databases once a week via scheduled task. The problem is my dbeng still crashes, causing my backups to fail because they can't find a blank tape (because the dbeng crashed so the backup is not aware of any media pool).

I get errors E5110 the database is no longer available, E4101 unable to login to database engine. I've already initialized this database, recreated the db by installing arcserve on another machine and copying the blank database, and I've even reinstalled ARCServe on this server. I am still getting these errors. Contacting CA support is no help, you can't understand what they're saying and I think I know more about their software than they do.

Has anyone else had these issues with Arcserve? I've got this happening on a couple of others servers as well, but not to the extent of this server.

Thank you

OK VLDB is not the best but it really is unusual to have this much trouble with it. It is limited in size and the larger it gets the more likely of problems. However from the description it is happening too often for it to grow that much. So I don't have specific recommendations for the problem and instead suggest:
1) Install SP3 or at least
QO84317 ZIP 183 KB 11/29/06 NT -HOT BACKUP CAUSES VLDB TO BECOME CORRUPT
2) Consider using the Catalog Database. In short only summary info is put into the database. Catalog files are saved in a subdirectory. Database info is merged automatically when needed. To enable go to the ARCserve Server Admin, Database tab, Configuration, check the box for Enable Catalog Database.

Hello,

I have run Arcserve 11.5 up 11.5 SP2 on SQL2005 for about a year.. no problem at all :)

Chris

I had the same thing all of the suden start happening to my VLDB. After fighting with it and seeig others have problems I moved to SQL 2005 3 weeks ago and have not had any problems. I had tech support tell me they supported 2005 about a year ago, nothing in writing though.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I actually just found out we consolidated down to one SQL 2005 box, so I have no SQL 2005 instances in any of my remote sites anymore. I'm not sure what kind of WAN traffic would result from having a central SQL Arcserve database located in my central office, I've got about 50 sites. Does anyone else run Arcserve with a centralized SQL 2005 DB located across a WAN? I'm wondering what kind of performance and WAN traffic I'd be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back