Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DATABASE DOCUMENTATION 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
GB
I need a documenter which will show the relations between the tables, queries and other objects in my database (for example, which screens and reports relay on a particular query). It would also be helpful if it were possible to list all fields referenced (for example) by a particular form or report. Does anyone know of useful thrid party documenters which can do this - the standard Access one seems good at using up paper but I would be happy with just a list, for exaple, of field names. I don;t want to see 50 characteristics of each field as another tree bites the dust.

The better editions of Microsoft Visio will reverse-engineer databases. You can also automatically engineer databases from Visio designs.

jrbarnett, I just grabbed the MDB from your website for Access 2000, and it is great. I onlty need to document a couple of databases so couldn't justify even looking into products let alone purchasing them.

Thanks a lot for sharing the work you have done.

Cheers
Bhoran

Bhoran,

At the time of the previous post (May 16) there was no version above 1.0 of MDB Doc for any version of Access. That has only come about in the previous 2-3 months or so.

John

I want to see nested queries in the info the documenter gives, any ideas?

Ooooh, I would too. My boss would love me forever if I could find something like that. He is the nested query King!!

I don't have time to get into that at the moment, but the source code is up there for Access 2000 now. If you want to have a go, please feel free to do so.

John

jrbarnett - I was just sent to this thread when I asked a similar question. Your post helped a lot! I did change the design of mdbdoc.htm a little bit so I could get only the info I needed. This is really useful :) Thanks!

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Thank you, John! This documenter is exactly what I needed!

If I were to make a "wish list" suggestion, I would love it to either come out as a report, or go into Excel, so I could see all the table fields ( for example) and their table in another column. I was able to bring the htm into word and then excel, so I have to say that I am ecstatic.

Thank you so much for this valuable addin!

misscrf

It is never too late to become what you could have been ~ George Eliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back