Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database design questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

irethedo

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
US
I have a spreadsheet that contains sales order information that I would like to convert over to an access database
and I am looking for suggestions or any tutorials on how to best do this.

The fields on the spreadsheet include customer name, order number, date entered, system type, computer part number,
computer description, software license, Mac address, IP address along with a few more fields.

I want this to be a multi-user database with a front-end user interface (for the forms) and a back-end interface
(for maintaining the tables) but should I set this up as a relationship database or a flat database and what are the
factors in determining this and what fields to create relationships with?

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers to any good documentation that would point me in the right direction...

set this up as a relationship database or a flat database " - definitely a relational database. Normalized.
"what fields to create relationships with" - Primary Key to Foreign Keys relationship.

If you've never done it, there are a lot of examples on the Web. Google is your best friend.

Just my $0.02 :)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back