Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Corrupted?? Permissions Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppergs

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
GB
I have a database which all of a suddent will not open! When I try to open it I get the message "You do no have the necessary permissions to use the "databasename.mdb" object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you".

I'm the person who created this but it doesn't even get to the logon screen, so as far as I can see I can't change any of the permissions?

Can anyone help me??

Thanks

Graham

Have you ever heard of holding the shift key down when opening? There are a lot of threads about this, normally in Microsoft:Access forms Forums

hope this helps

If you used to get a login screen, then you connected to a different MDW file than the one that came with Access. Did you use a custom shortcut to point to a workgroup? Do you have a backup of the workgroup file? Did you write down how you created it? For some reason, it seems to have reverted back to the standard one. Maybe a new install of Access or different compuer?

Hope this helps,

jzelhart

I had created a new workgroup file using all the steps in the Security Wizard. This file is still intact, but it seems all adminstrator rights I previously had under my own ID have gone - it now seems to think a user called "engine" is the db administrator.

This all happened one day after we had network problems (the database is stored on this network) - everything worked before as it should, but all of a sudden I got this message!

I think all that needs to be done is to somehow tell the database that I am the administrator and not "engine" - any idea how or if this can be done??

Thanks again.

Sorry I have never used access security preferred my own.
But if you have a back copy of your database prior to the network disaster copy it into a different folder Delete the tables from this copy and import them from the existing. Then replace existing with this copy.

This is a work around not the best way

hope this helps

What version of Access are you using?

Can you create a new database?

How did you have security setup?
Did you use the workgroup administrator to join a workgroup or did you specify a workgroup file on command line of db?

Can you open a backup copy of the db?
It may be that the database file is corrupt.

Can you open your db when using a backup copy of your workgroup (mdw) file?
It may be that the workgroup file is corrupt.

I'm using Access 2000 and yes I can create a new database - in fact all other databases in the same file directory are still fine - only this one won't open, but this was the only one with security set up for it.

I had 3 groups set up called Admins, NonAdmins and Users. My own ID was set up with Admin rights. The workgroup file was created using the wizard and it was a newly created file, rather than using the existing system.mdw.

5 backups have been restored and none of them will open, whereas we don't have any backups of the mdw file as it was held locally.

Think the database file is corrupt?

It sounds like you didn't delete the Admin user from your security settings and someone logged in using system.mdw (the Access default workgroup) then changed ownership of the database. If that's true and if they didn't delete the Admin user you should be able to join the default workgroup (system.mdw) and hold down the shift key when opening the database.

If that works, I'd immediately verify that your individual account is the only one in the Admins group. In particular, remove the Admin user after making sure you are in the Admin group with all permissions. Ann

I tried this but still get the same message - I am pretty sure that no-one else has been in the database anyway apart from me - unfortunate in a way cos I've no-one else to blame!!

Any other ideas??

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

What happens if you try to import the objects into a new database? Do you get the same message? Ann

Happens to me a lot with Access2000.
I am opening Access and navigating to my .mdb
Works every time !

It sound to easy to solve your problem, but why not to try, it is sooo easy :)

TIA

hoppergs wrote:
I'm using Access 2000 and yes I can create a new database - in fact all other databases in the same file directory are still fine - only this one won't open, but this was the only one with security set up for it.
I had 3 groups set up called Admins, NonAdmins and Users.  My own ID was set up with Admin rights.  The workgroup file was created using the wizard and it was a newly created file, rather than using the existing system.mdw.

How do you specify the workgroup file when you open the secured database? Are you using the /wrkgrp command line option? For example:
Code:
.../msaccess.exe mydb.mdb /wrkgrp:...\mynew.mdw
Where ... are appropriate path names

Or have you 'joined' the new workgroup file with workgroup manager?

I'm assuming that you used to be able to open the database after you setup security. Is that correct?

I get the same message when I try to import objects to another database.

As for the workgroup file, I think it's been joined or created using the workgroup manager - it was the wizard that created it in the first place but I have since tried joining other mdw files to it instead but to no avail.

And yes, the security was working fine when I first set it up - no changes were made to it since....

Did you keep a copy of the names, PIDs etc when you created the mdw file? If so, you could recreate the mdw file from scratch. BUT it will need to be an EXACT copy (including case sensitivity) of the original file, otherwise it will not work.

HTH
Lightning

Lightning may be right. But, before we try that, let's check a few things. I have Access 2002 (XP) but 2000 is probably similar. Do this:

First, make sure you have a copy of your new Workgroup file somewhere.

Run Access.

Click on the tools menu and then select Security..., Workgroup Adminstrator...
What workgroup is shown?

If the wrong Workgroup file is shown. Click on the Join... button and join the correct workgroup file.

Click OK to close the Workgroup Administrator window.

Click on the tools menu and then select Security..., User and Group Accounts...
Do all your user and group names show up here?

If you already had the correct workgroup file selected and all the user and group names are OK. Then we can try plan B, otherwise try opening you database again.

PLAN B

If you got an error in the above process or the above did not correct the problem, then try this:

Make sure you have a copy of your workgroup file!

See if you can compact and repair the workgroup file (MDW) file. (The workgroup file is just another database file).

Open Access

Select tools, Compact and Repair Database....

Set Files of type to 'mdw'. Compact your existing mdw file into a new 'mdw' file.

Any Errors?

Then rename original mdw file, and give the newly created mdw file the original workgroup file name.

Try opening your database again.

If this doesn't work and you can't re-create your workgroup file from scratch, as suggested by Lightning, then maybe we can come up with a plan C...

Hi Graham,

I encountered this same problem when I upgraded my computer and did a fresh install of all my apps. (including a fresh new Workgroup file). Fortunately I did a full backup of my old computer, including the worgroup file (.mdw).

I had to hunt around for that old .mdw file and join that workgroup before I could get back into my database.

Just like Jim is suggesting in his "plan A" you might want to make sure you are joining the right workgroup file.

You said you tried restoring 5 backups... Perhaps one of those 5 backups also has a worgroup file? You might try hunting for that file there and restoring an older workgroup file. Earnie Eng
If you are born once, you will die twice.
If you are born twice, you will die once

Thanks again for all responses so far - really appreciate your time!

OK I've not tried Lightning's suggestion yet but I did keep a full printout of all the details of the workgroup file - I also have a ".bak" file that was created automatically by the wizard but not sure what that does yet!

The correct mdw file was joined but when I opened the User and Group Accounts not all of the users were there - strangely though when I actually opened the mdw file in Access, they were! Sounds like this is a problem?!

I tried the repair, got no errors but again the same message stops me opening the database.

Unfortunately the mdw file would not have been backed up as it's stored locally - only our network drives are backed up.

So I'd imagine my only choice now is to try and re-create the file from scratch? Only problem with that is don't you have to be in the database itself to link it and specify user accounts, etc??

Hmmm... This is very strange.

Well, if you have all the info for recreating your workgroup file that is probably the best bet for now.

hoppergs wrote:
So I'd imagine my only choice now is to try and re-create the file from scratch?  Only problem with that is don't you have to be in the database itself to link it and specify user accounts, etc??

No, you don't need to be able to open the db to create the workgroup file. The User and Group Accounts are in the workgroup file. When you are setting User and Group Permissions you are changing the security settings of the database file, you would need to be able to open the database file to do this.

You do need to do as Lightning said. When you recreate the workgroup file, do everything EXACTLY the same, including case of characters typed. Make sure you join the new workgroup file after you create it.

Oh, and make a backup copy of the new workgroup file :)

Good luck and keep us informed.

I've tried re-creating the workgroup file but STILL no joy!! The only information asked for when I did this were the Name, Organisation and Workgroup ID - I input them in exactly the same way as they originally were but the same message blocks the database from opening.

I personally think I somehow need to get into the database itself and reset the User Permissions, but no idea how to do that!!

I take it there are no more bright ideas??!

Thanks again

Graham

it's a long shot... but try restoring your workgroup file (not the .mdb) from an older backup archive of your server (hopefully the workgroup file was backed up, too?)

Go back as far as you think it still has the right permissions set...

and try getting Access to join that workgroup. Earnie Eng
If you are born once, you will die twice.
If you are born twice, you will die once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back