Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

puntubabu

Technical User
Jun 26, 2012
US
Hello,
Before I start, here are the specs for my laptop:
Windows 7 Professional
MS SQL Server 2000
Cognos 10

I am trying to bridge the connection between Cognos 10 and SQL Server 2000. I created a cm database within SQL Server, but when I try to connect to it through Cognos Configuration, I get an error while testing the newly created content store. Also, when I look at properties of the cm database I have created, the collation name is blank, even though I specifically chose SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. I have tried deleting and recreating the database with this collation name, still, under properties, it is blank. So I went to Query Analyzer and typed this in:
"ALTER DATABASE cm COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS"
Then, the collation name exists under properties. But when I exit out of query analyzer, the collation name goes back to blank/null.
I have used sa/sa as my username and password.
What is going on? Why can't cognos connect to my cm database?

How are you running SQL server? Mixed mode enabled? This should have nothing to do with collation as the database inherits the collation type from the instance.

Database server / portnumber would normally be : localhost:1433.

Use Network utility to check the port number.

When using Wireless connection you may lose connectivity to the local database server as the port is hijacked for the wireless connection

Ties Blom

Yes, mixed mode is enabled.
Yes, it is localhost:1433, and the port number in Server Network Utility is 1433.
I tried connecting with my wireless disabled, yet no luck...
I have no idea what to do!! I tried using all the user/pass combos I could think of.

I feel like I have properly install MSSQL2000, but maybe you could give me a quick rundown as to how to do so?

Thanks!

What is the name of the SQL Server instance? We had trouble connecting Cognos 10 to some databases servers because of the instance name containing a backslash.

What happens when you add an additional database login to SQL server and authorize the login as db_owner on the Cognos content store?

Ties Blom

I created a new username : "testing" with password: "testing123".
I gave it db_owner permissions.
Still, I get an error when Testing Content Manager database connection.

I am using the default SQL server instance.

By the way, thank you for taking interest in helping me!

Not sure how to edit my post, so anyways:

I forgot to install SP4!!!!!!!! WOW!! I feel like an idiot!!

Everything works now!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back