Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database complete...what do I need to check before presenting database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just completed my database. Can I have a couple of people's opinions telling me what they think I should check for before presenting this database to the user? i.e. what I should check in settings, forms/tables/reports etc...and code. Thanks. Any other helpful "I'm Done with my Database, now what?" info would be helpful...

Taimi

Typically, before a system is released to the general public some sort of testing is performed. Off the top of my head, I would recommend the following:

1. Sounds like a stand-alone system for a single user, so network/multi-user testing may not be necessary.

2. Install "test" system on users' PC and design a high-level test plan that tests the positive features of the system. This can be considered User Acceptance Testing (UAT).

3. After UAT, review the results and make system corrections if necessary.

4. Finalize User/System documentation.

5. Deliver final system.

6. Post installation activities: Monitoring size of system and compact when necessary.

htwh Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

this is going to be a multiple user/Windows NT database. So what do I need to check network wise?

tested the front-end from the lowest-end machine on the network?

have a system in place to deliver new front-ends to work stations when you've made updates?

tested it while logged in as a test user with the lowest security levels that you use?

we also work in an NT environment, and these three elements have caused us the greatest problems.

-tjones

Well... Similar testing but place on the network. Make sure to test cases when users are concurrently accessing data/reports/utility program to make sure there are no contention for any record locks required. Then develop a test plan to make sure all the functionality developed in the system meets the document requirements defined by users. Make sure you notify select users that they are in test mode and alot enough time to make corrections to the system and re-test.

Typically, a network based system is divided into 2 components: A database (data tables) and the user interface (forms,etc). You may want to consider this psuedo client-server approach if not already implemented. Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Always hit ALT + F11 > Debug > Compile before shipping. This will catch most (*but not all) errors lurking in the code.

Also in Tools > General make sure that the code is set to break only on unhandled errors.

Wow, that was a LOT of info...Uhm...quick questions....

So you guys are saying I should have two databases...one that has the data, and one that has the users stuff (soo link the tables etc...) calian? I'm not sure how to do any of the three things you said...could you or someone else explain them (security levels? I did not know access had them, where are they, how do they work etc...?)

Thanks in advance... :) (as you can see I can make databases but i've never had to actually DELIVER them to anyone...tee hee)

First you should test for speed across the network.
You map the hardrive your database is in then you create a shortcut on the desktop for each computer.

Second organize by have a Main folder called master
inside that folder divide your database into two sections
---one is for hidden objects (link)
---the other is main
---back up this foler often you can make money by charging customers for data recovery

Hope that helps
if u have any questions you should talk to my dad
I'm just a 14 year old programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back