Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database and DMZ issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeGuru

Instructor
Oct 20, 2003
CA
Hi everyone,

I have a little problem and i need some advice.

We are soon installing two new webservers in our DMZ.
The Webservers will be in contact with a Oracle database.

We have some architecture issues with security here our 2 options :

OPTION 1:
Firewall ---> DMZ (Webservers) --->Firewall---> Inverse Proxy----> DMZ 2(Small Oracle database) <-- Firewall <----LAN

OPTION 2:
FIrewall ----> DMZ (Webservers)----> Inverse Proxy --->Firewall <----> LAN (Central oracle DATABASE)

With option number are we gonna have to consider the replication issues and some performance problems ?
With option number two is there a way to make it really secure ?

For now i know that option #1 is really simple.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you !!

PS: Data needed for the webservers

Both options are not easy, but the rules are:

- Database need to be protected in Lan.
- Webserver is public access, so must be in DMZ.
- Reverse proxy also must be in DMZ.

- If you do 2 layer-firewall (external and Internal) so Internal FW performance must fit with the traffic (database + brwosing + etc ...)

There are seevral things wrong, in both schemes.
Proxying SqlNet is... well, let's say if you have a proper filtering proxy for SqlNet, you _are_ Oracle. Otherwise, your reverse proxy will do nothing more than packet filtering. Useless, since FW2 (which could be a proper filtering router) will do just that.
Then, your reverse proxy are not where it should be : in FRONT of the webservers, not between webserver and DBS. And they should perform heavy filtering on URLs, CGI arguments, all that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back