Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

camidon

Programmer
May 9, 2000
US
I'm trying to develop a web based application that will allow me to manipulate an Access database over the internet or on an intranet.&nbsp;&nbsp;The application will be used to track support calls and customer information.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am designing the actual database structure in MS Access.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not sure if you can do this over the internet/intranet, but I would like to be able to fully manipulate this database.<br><br>Any help is appreciated.<br><br>Christopher

sure you can.......<br>1 - set up your Access file as an ODBC data source on the machine that is running your web server.<br>2 - setup&nbsp;&nbsp;DBI/DBD::ODBC and use it in your web programs<br><br>see the documentation for DBI/DBD for more how-to's...<br><br>Note: the are some real security issues here.......those issues are less worrisome in an intranet situation and very worrisome in an internet situation. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

what's DBI/DBD?? and how is it so worrysome?<br><br>-- sorry, been longing for this answer after i get my cgi skills&nbsp;&nbsp;:))))))<br><br>Cheers, Karl.<br> <p> Karl<br><a href=mailto:mc_karl@yahoo.com>mc_karl@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> ~ ~ ~ ~<br>
K A R L<br>
~ ~ ~ ~

what's DBI/DBD?&nbsp;&nbsp;Different database software packages expect to be talked to in different ways.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Perl 'DBI' module implements a 'DataBase Independent' layer to make the supported DB packages behave the same way( or at least appear to).&nbsp;&nbsp;The DBD portion of DBI/DBD refers to the specific driver Perl needs to talk to the specific database package you are using.&nbsp;&nbsp;In your case, since you are in the M$ playground, you might choose to use the ODBC route, so you would need the 'DBD::ODBC' module as your driver.<br><br>DBI/DBD is not worrysome.&nbsp;&nbsp;CGI is worrysome.&nbsp;&nbsp;Giving the world, or some subset of the world, a window into your machine is the issue.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even if you think the window is closed and latched, it may be slightly cracked (enough for some malicious individual to cause problems).&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Check out <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

I just started learning SQL, working with other peoples' databases. I'd like to start working with creating my own databases, and using Perl/Java to access them. Problem is... I don't have the slightest idea of where to start. My college runs a Unix server... any ideas of how to start on some database/CGI activity? I'm all set as far as regular CGI goes, but I need a step in the right direction when things get deeper than that... <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back