Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data xfer speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greif1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2005
US
What is the limiting factor in ethernet data xfer?
Example: on my 100mbit network coming from a small 1000mhz server, through a 3com 3300 switch to a 3ghz desktop, I see a sustained xfer rate of ~30mbit/sec.

Recently on a xfer from another desktop (3ghz desktop to 3300 switch to 3 ghz desktop) I saw twice that rate for sustained xfer (60mbit/sec)

Question: If I put gigabit cards in my servers what kind of xfer rate could I expect?

Question ; for bulk temp storage what kind of xfer rate could a Lacie Big Disk (1 TB/1gbit ethernet) maintain?
thanks,
gr

I think no advantage, as you aren't able to fill up your 100 Mbit yet , so you won't fill up more when putting in a GBit.
for Lacie disk , wouldn't get my hopes up, 7200 rpm disk , 16 Mb cache, so certainly good as temp storage, but certainly not more then that.

I found the info I was looking for at;

They have nice charts of test of lots of NAS devices. Turns out the average sustained write perfomance of the Lacie Big Disk is 7.5 mbyte/sec when connected at 100mb ethernet and 9.7 mbyte/sec when connected at gigabit ethernet. Not much difference between the 100 and the 1000 ethernet.
gr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back