Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Warehouse Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
This is slightly off-topic with regard to SQL Server 2005 but I hope nobody minds as I can't find a data warehouse forum.

I'm pretty clear on dimensional modelling after ploughing through a few books this week and asking a few key questions on tek-tips. I have one grey area left.

Once you have a nice start schema for each business process you are ready to build a nice OLAP cube. However...is it common practice to just create a view over the star schema and make it available to report writers?. In other words, is the Star Schema suitable as a non-OLAP reporting source?

Dazed and confused

Here's the general Data Warehousing forum:
forum353

In other words, is the Star Schema suitable as a non-OLAP reporting source

Yes, the Star Schema is a model that can be used by other clients, and it's more than just a relational feeder into a MOLAP database. You can use it with a Business Objects Universe for example. Just make sure that if you have any meaningful information developed in the cube itself--like calculations--that you could end up with differing versions if the reporting analysts are forced to recreate those in their reporting software.

Once again thanks on all fronts.

Dazed and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back