Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Warehouse performance test

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumisu123

Technical User
Oct 30, 2009
DE
Hi,

First of all, sorry for my poor English.
I’m doing an internship as part of my Bussiness Information Systems study. My Job is to exermine the possibilities of using open source Data Warehouse Systems for Data Warehousing as a Service solutions. The main focus is on the performance aspects.
Is there any best practice for Data Warehouse performance testing (benchmarking)? And are there any tools for Data Warehouse performance testing?

Thanks in advance!

First of all, a Data Warehouse should be specific to the enterprise, so I don't know what you mean by "open source Data Warehouse Systems." Every data warehouse should be proprietary. Maybe you mean using an Open Source database or query tool. But those are just components of the data warehouse, and not the data warehouse itself.

And when a data warehouse is modeled, it is modeled specifically to the enterprise, so there is no substitute for testing performance than trying out different analysis the enterprise would like to use.

As RiverGuy noted, performance tuning of systems (all systems, not just DW) are dependent on the applications being run. Indexing, redundant columns, denormalization, and other performance techniques should be based on the frequency and volume of user access.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back