Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data / Voice Cable Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat77

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
Would anybody know if there might a way to use a computer with a nic interface for cable testing instead of using expensive cable testers[pc3]

You cannot "certify" the wiring to "catX" with a PC. You could load test the network with something like ProvaGEN but that would not tell you if a problem was in the wiring or the hardware

There really is no subsitute for "using expensive cable testers"

If you intend to enter this line of work you need at least some sort of a cable tester so you won't miswire. Here are two:

The load testing software looks very nice, that's a great idea for stress testing the network.

I think real testers can basically be lumped into two catagories.

First, basic DC continuity testers that verify that each of the 8 wires makes it to the other end and in the correct order. This is a great inexpensive product that at least makes sure you got all the wires terminated in the correct spots. I would guess prices are between $50 and $600 or so depending on the features.

Second, to get a tester that actually tests the wiring and the hardware to make sure it is compliant with one of the approved standards, you are looking at more like $2500 to $6000 or more. These devices normally have two components so that the tests can be run automatically from both ends of the link or channel. They put the cable and connections through all the tests at the required speeds to make sure they pass the standard.

The basic one will get you by for simple wiring. However, you can get a pass on the basic continuity tester and then have problems with the connection. If you test the connection with the advanced tester to whatever standard is required, you can pretty much rule out the wiring involved and look towards the devices or hardware.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back