Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data View Not Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperx

Technical User
Jan 9, 2002
US
I have an asp site that was built using VI 6 and MSDE a couple of years back. It has been working great but occasionally we go in and do some sprucing up. This time when I went in to do a few things on my development version I noticed that my data view was not showing up. When I looked under the View>OtherWindows the Data view was greyed out. The site is working great... data is retrieved and stored beautifully but I no longer have an easy way to look at what I have in the database. I suspect a permissions problem somewhere but don't really know where to start looking.

I had the same issue when I moved my home workstation. Then about 2 weeks after this started, it just fixed itself. I did everything - re-installed Studio, MDAC, service packs, everything. Try to open your Global.ASA file and close it. I don't know if this will work, but it is the only thing I can think of that may have fixed it for me.

Greg Conely

Thanks for acknowledging the issue... I tried the global file... no joy But based on your positive experience in a seemingly unintentional, random way I fired up visual interdev and started trying things. I GOT IT WORKING!!! What seemed to do the trick was right clicking on my project and asking to create a dataconnection and going through the steps (again).
The little good news you gave me was enough to keep me trying stuff and to avoid reinstalling the entire mess.
bigsmile.gif

For VI to 'see' a database, it needs to connect to the database in the same way as the server does. This means that if the connection uses ODBC, then make sure the ODBC DSN has been created on your local machine, as well as on the server. (this is why the Web runs OK - as it uses the connection defined on the server.)

I'm having this same issues on a newly setup PC. This is the only one I've had this problem on. I've got the latest MDAC and service packs and update for windows. I'm running w2kp and vs5 sp5 on a dual amd machine with 1 gig ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back