Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data verification report

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCL2007

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2007
US
Just looking for ideas.. I need to write a Crystal Report reporting off of a Part Master table (and a few other key tables). The report is a data verification report of about 100 key database records. I need to write a report to make sure values in fielda > 10, fieldb <> 0, fieldc = 'A', fieldd is not null, etc.... for about 100 fields and 3000 records.
I would like for it to be some sort of exception report

Part1 has fieldb=0
Part3 has fieldd=3393

etc

Anyone have ideas setting something like this up easily?
Thanks

Not easy at all. You could write a huge record selection formula to get only those records that have issues, but with 300 fields this could be a problem depending on your version of crystal (which you should ALWAYS post).

Even then, to make the report practical you are going to have to conditionally highlight the offending field(s), and probably export the whole thing to Excel to make it readable. (I cannot believe I just said that).

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Thanks dgillz...
It is Crystal XI....Yes, I'm struggling with it also.. I'll look at conditional formats...Thanks again... Any brainstorms would be much appreciated.....

100 fields could be arranged as 10 per line on ten detail lines. You could number the lines and suppress the line if none of the fields are exception, etc.

One useful trick is to have a dummy report to which you copy fields and then change their name before copying back.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

If you have the same condition that several fields must meet, you can select all relevant fields and then conditionally suppess them if they meet the criteria by using a formula like:

currentfieldvalue <> 0

-LB

Maybe it would be better to use a group based on parts and in the footer of each list only the exceptions which it meets.

Although it will impact on performance perhaps a sub report with each possible exception showing as an individual section with suppress is blank and the sub report set to can grow to minimise space wasted.

Personally, I would prioritise the exceptions and consider a basic tick / cross jpg to indicate status for each. this can work well for a large number of exceptions however is limited by paper width.

'J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back